Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 February 2012

Music is my Breath

Hello! I am Kondaveeti Jyotirmayi. 

I have two great passions in my life. One is music other social service. Goddess Saraswati pervades through all my activities pertaining music. In music my inspirations are the legendary singers M S Subbalakshmi and Lata Mangeshkar. And my idols in social service are Mother Teressa, Nelson Mandela and Kofi Annan. Music is the breath of life and social service is the guiding principle of my life. I have a special place and penchant for Annamacharya’s hymns in my music. His devotion, his love for humanity, his reformist zeal, so beautifully expressed in his songs, enthrall me. I derive some sort of supreme happiness singing those hymns. They elevate me spiritually to higher realms of experience. 

                                                

How did you develop taste for music?
As my father was away in Saudi Arabia. I was brought up by my mother and grand mother – both devote and spent a lot of time singing hymns as part of worship. It was but natural for me to develop taste for music in that ambiance. I started learning classical music at my 10th year soon after I received a number of awards as a child artist. I was good in everything music, dance, drama, games and studies as well – the best all rounder.

Why are so very fond of Annamacharya?
It is the meaning, the spirit behind the hymns, his universal brotherhood, his zeal for reformation – they revealed to me that music could be used for reform and to elevate human soul.

Which of your activities gave you the greatest satisfaction?
It is the publication of books in Braille which gave me the greatest satisfaction. May be that effort was the first of its kind. We published the Bible, the Quran, the Ramayan, the Mahabharata, Bhagavatam, Biography of Mahatma Gandhi, Stories of Tenali Ramakrishna etc. both Gunnies Book of World records, and Limca Book of records mentioned my work in their volumes. I am particularly pleased and thrilled to say that the books I published were released by not less a person than President A P J Abdul Kalam, R Venkata Raman, K R Narayan and Prime Minister A B Vajpayee. We distributed the books and CDs to rural libraries free of cost. This work gave me at most happiness.

Tell us about your work in speading Annamayya’s hymns. In addition to the existing Guru Kondaveeti Jyothirmayi International Trust, we have established Annamayya Kala Peetam! Though I got a seat in a medical college, I forsook it, in order to pursue my twin passions music and social service.

Did you feel proud at any time?
Pride is a sensation, a feeling. Mother Teressa herself had inaugurated our family trust for social service. Nelson Mandela had personally appreciated our work. Don’t you think that they were proud moments? Don’t we feel proud and happy when we actually meet the persons whom we idolized? I was on the top of the World when they blessed me. They were truly historic moments in my life.

What do you do in your leisure time?
As far as I am concerned, I do not find any leisure. I spend the whole day singing, teaching Annamayya’s songs in person and through internet. I have got a number of disciples. Music and social service had penetrated into my life. They are the integral part of my life.

What are your future programmes?
I just want to continue to involve myself in the activities I have already started. Our organization also extends help and assistance to others who are involved in social work – help as many as you could is our motto.

What about your awards?
I received awards on all levels – school, college, state and national – best singer award from Indian Universities, International woman of the year. American award of recognition, Spirit of Service award from Kuwait Telugu Kala Samithi, Ambassador of peace and harmony – many such. I feel every award has increased my responsibility many a folds.

No comments:

Post a Comment